Saturday, February 5, 2011

On the topic of Cinema

I like to think of myself as someone who is quite well versed in the area of cinema. I've seen countless movies. I've also seen many "Top 10 Movies" lists, and I've always thought they were filled with 90% rubbish. Saying a movie is in the "Top 10" basically says these are movies that, if trapped on a deserted island, you'd be happy to watch for the rest of your life. Therefore, movies such as "Legally Blonde" are automatically disqualified, because mouth-breathers stupid enough to enjoy said movie and similarly ridiculous movies wouldn't have the intelligence to survive on a deserted island. Well, unfortunately, I don't have a "Top 10" list...I have a "Top 20" because leaving out any of them would be a crime. So, without further ado, here's my list in no particular order:

Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas
Trainspotting
2001: A Space Odyssey
Collateral
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Kill Bill: Volume 1
Kill Bill: Volume 2
Glengarry Glen Ross
The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather
The Godfather: Part 2
No Country for Old Men
Raging Bull
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Taxi Driver

Note: There are still more films I'd love to add to this list, but sadly there isn't room, and I think a "Top 30" would just be ridiculous.

Feel free to comment on this one, let me know what you think I've missed. Only intelligent responses will be accepted, hence if you post "Avatar" you will be ridiculed to no end - while it was a triumph of technology, it was by no means a great movie.

1 comment:

  1. excellent list you've got there danko and kudos for having taxi driver listed. it, along with some of the other films mentioned, are greatly under-appreciated or not even relevant to the typical movie goer.

    ReplyDelete